Please Thank Your Legislator!
Find how your Senator & Representative voted!
The First Regular Session of the 127th Legislature (2015) was a great success for Maine seniors. This session, Maine law makers:
- Increased MaineCare reimbursement rates for direct care workers
- $4.1 million included in FY16-17 budget
- Increased funding for the Alzheimerâ€™s Caregiver Respite Program
- $247,272 in FY16-17 to reduce wait-list by two-thirds
- Inclusion of home delivered meals as a MaineCare covered service
- $75,000 included in budget to cover the service
- Permanent funding for a statewide Money Minders Program
- $75,000 included in the budget to cover the program
- General fund bond to build affordable senior housing
- $15 million bond; $500,000 included for home repair
- Defeated cuts to the Medicare Savings Program in the Governorâ€™s budget
Now itâ€™s time to thank legislative leaders for their efforts. Everyone needs to thank Speaker Mark Eves and Senator David Burns. They led the effort to keep legislators focused on issues that impacted older adults. Other legislative heroes of this session included Representatives Linda Sanborn, Drew Gattine, Richard Malaby and Ellie Espling. All members of the Appropriations and Health & Human Services Committee need to hear from older constituents who are thankful for their hard work in prioritizing funding for these bills.